Sunday, March 7, 2010

Whirlwind

Life is in full fast forward as we race toward Gunnar's arrival (90 days to go in case you are counting) and I have become rather post delinquent. So here is the latest..

It was a week FULL of appointments in addition to it just being a horrendously busy work week. I kicked off the fun with a dentist appointment. I am sure that to most people dentist appointments are not a big deal. By contrast, I HATE GOING TO THE DENTIST. It is a loooong story but I have had my share of teeth and dentist drama so I'm a bit curette shy (yes that is a dental tool joke). Any whoo, after once again being disappointed in a dentist I made a yet another switch. There may only be 1 spot to buy groceries in Welches OR but by golly there also happens to be a dental office. A REALLY nice dental office. I went to McKenzie dental and they were wonderful! Got my choppers cleaned and a clean bill of dental health. Woohoo. Great staff and Dr Brad was very nice (although I swear he may be younger than ME). Highly recommend them if you happen to live in the area. Or say, knock your teeth out at Meadows.

Next on the agenda was our first birthing class. Since I want to take advantage of the water birth tub at OHSU I had to take this class. It was very informative. Nick went with me and even survived his first birthing video. I'll just put it this way - it was one heck of a video! Really amazing story of a South American midwife and her own home water birth. She pretty much delivers the baby herself, with only her husband to catch the baby. I had to warn Nick that I will be needing MUCH more help than that!

To wrap up the week I had my Centering appointment. All is well. I got to hear Gunnar's heartbeat and we discussed fear of childbirth. I really do love my centering meetings. It is so great to hear the perspectives of other women. Great discussions. On the baby note, I also finally found a La Leche League chapter with evening meetings. Of course it is in the least convenient section of Portland for me to access but I know it will be well worth it.

Yesterday we went for our second section of acupuncture. Nick has some severe shoulder and heel pain that was worked on. For me the acupuncturist got more serious about my blood pressure. We are both enjoying it and continue to go.

Nick has been very busy in the studio. Brightwood is celebrating 100 years in May and he is working on some commemorative pieces to sell. One piece is a relief tile of an image in the Birghtwood Tavern (basically Brightwood's Town Hall). The image is a logger mid cut through an ENORMOUS tree. The picture hangs next to the patio door and is very impressive. Nick's tile more than does it justice and here it is in its current state:

There will be more Brightwood pieces to come so stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Love the new tile of the logger!
    Also, glad you are making it to the La Leche League.
    I will always be fond of that organzation.
    I love the support and encouragement they give new mothers.
    Glad the acupuncture is helping...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found a LLL meeting that works for you. It has played such a huge role in my confidence as a mother and woman.

    ReplyDelete