Saturday, September 24, 2011

The Good Books

I have finally managed to resume one leisure time activity post Gunnar. Reading! I was at Target and took a minute to browse the book selection. Boy there was a ton out there I have been missing out on. So I jotted down what look good and got to ordering from the library. There have been some hits and misses but so far I have really enjoyed:

Half Broke Horses by Jeanette Walls. I loved her book The Glass Castle and this one was just as good. Apparently I am not alone as as Times Review seems to agree. In Half Broke Horses Walls assumes the voice of her grandmother to tell of her adventures as a pioneering pioneer woman. She breaks horses and bucks tradition in this wonderful memoir.

Keeping with the cowgirl theme I read Ree Drummond's Black Heel's to Tractor Wheels. I am a huge Ree fan and her tale of unexpectedly falling in love in Oklahoma does not disappoint.

G and I swung by the library this morning and I am getting started tonight on A Widow's Story by Joyce Carol Oates. I have been a fan of hers for many years and can never resist when I see her name on a book cover. I'll let you know how it goes.

Got a waking baby so I gotta run.

1 comment:

  1. I also loved The Glass Castle and keep forgetting about Half Broke Horses. Thanks for the reminder. I also really want to read the new PW book. Glad to hear you liked it.

    ReplyDelete